Web Design & Development Guide
Online Office suites are offered by websites in the form of
software as a service. They offer the ability to use the common office
tools online. They can be accessed online from any Internet enabled device running any operating system. This allows
people to work together world wide and at any time thereby leading to
international web based collaboration and virtual teamwork. Usually, the
basic versions are offered for free and for more advanced versions one
is required to pay a nominal subscription fee.
- No software is required to be downloaded and installed.
- No upgrading hassles when new features are added or bugs eliminated.
- They can run out of thin clients with minimal hardware requirements.
- They also provide the ability to share a document with several users
without your own server.
- No need to purchase or upgrade a software license. Instead these are
software as a service.
- Data Security - All your data resides on a remote server.
- Speed - Most of the currently available online office suites require a
- Lack of all features available on the offline office suites.
Typically online office suites include a word processor, a spreadsheet
element, a presentation program, a Accountancy module, and a communications tool.
Rich Internet Applications
Web application framework
Web application development